**See Coach Zane's Blog page for a recap of each weekend's results**
Mission and Philosophy
The Strathmore Reds Program will strive to develop an attitude of discipline, sportsmanship, integrity, leadership and social responsibility. The program will instill a sense of pride not only in the athletes but in the coaches, parents and community.
Players chosen to play for the Strathmore Reds are chosen not only on ability and character but on desire and aspirations. The Reds program is for the High School aged player with goals of taking their game to higher levels ( ie. College, Professional)
The Reds mission is to provide these selected players with a program that transitions their game from elite youth baseball into the college level. The program, led by Head Coach Zane Anderson (Vauxhall Academy of Baseball, Gannon University), will facilitate this transition through
· High quality instruction
· High level competition
· A working college placement plan that will reflect the academic and athletic goals for each individual player on the team.
2011 Schedule Format
For 2011 the Reds will play the Alberta Provincial Norwest Baseball League. The League Alberta's top high school or Midget age league. The League consists of up to 12 teams across the province competing in League play of a , and at the conclusion they will qualify and compete for the opportunity to represent Alberta at the Western Canadian or Canadian ltimately culminating in Western Canadian or National Championships.
Parksville, BC-Best of the West May 20-23.
American Legion "AA" Tournament - Medicine Hat,AB - June 3-5
Libby "Big Bucks" Tournament - Libby,MT - June 24-26
2010 Schedule Format
The Strathmore Reds have once again voted on an independent tournament type schedule, (as opposed to playing in a league) for the spring, summer and fall of 2010.This format proved to be immensely successful last year as it gave the team freedom to customize a schedule that allowed us
- Play an 80-90 game schedule
- Play against a much larger number of different teams from Canada and United States
- Travel to and experience many different and outstanding facilities in Western Canada as well as the Pacific Northwest,USA
- Modify schedule around study time for final exams
- Implement an annual “Feature Trip”
The Feature Trip
Without a doubt the highlight of the 2009 season was our 14 day trip to the state of New York. The Reds took part in the annual Lancer Classic in Lewiston, NY; finishing runner up in a tournament that included state champs from Ohio and Western New York.
The trip also included another half dozen exhibition barn storming games around the area that led us to the heart of all baseball: Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame
Cooperstown was unbelievable and the boys were in awe. The Reds even got an exhibition game in on historic Doubleday Field. A field that has seen the likes of baseball legends such as Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Robinson and Mantle. The legends were with the Reds that day as they defeated the Lockport, NY Stars 14-3.
The team has travelled to Las Vegas and Cedar City, Utah for a high level tournament. The team will travelled for 8 days, playing 2 exhibition games in Las Vegas, winning 2 close games before heading by bus to Cedar City, Utah for the tournament where the team performed wel going 2-2. There was also time for some site seeing in Las Vegas and Zion National Park.
Other 2010 tournaments will include
- KR3 The Best of the West Tournament -Penticton,BC - April 2-4 * Lost in Finals.
- Lethbridge Bulls High School Tournament-Lethbridge,AB - May 14-15
- Lethbridge Spitz Miners Tournament - Lethbridge,AB - May 21-23
- Tom Tallef Memorial Tournament - Great Falls,MT - May 28-31
- American Legion "AA" Tournament - Medicine Hat,AB - June 4-6 *
- North Star Memorial American Legion Tournament - Havre,MT - June 10-13 *
- Libby "Big Bucks" Tournament - Libby,MT - June 25-27
- Spitz "A" Miners American Legion Tournament -Medicine Hat,AB - July 2-4 *
- "John R. Harp" Tournament - Kalispell,MT - July 9-11
- Matt Krol Memorial Tournament - Calgary,AB - August 13-15
* For tournament schedule see Tournaments link on the left