2018 LMBA PRE-SEASON MEETING
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 25 - 2:30pm TO 4:30pm
EDMONDS CENTRE - 7433 EDMONDS STREET, BURNABY
A VERY IMPORTANT MEETING FOR ALL 40 LMBA TEAMS WILL BE HELD ON SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 25TH AT THE EDMONDS CENTRE IN BURNABY (2:30PM TO 4:30PM). ALL TEAMS MUST HAVE A REPRESENTATIVE PRESENT AND WE ARE ASKING YOU TO COMPLETE A NUMBER OF TASKS PRIOR TO THE MEETING.
(1) PLEASE CONFIRM YOUR TEAM CONTACT INFORMATION BY SENDING ANY CHANGES TO MARKE ANDREWS (email@example.com)
(2) ALL TEAMS HAVE RECEIVED CONTACT INFORMATION FOR PARKS, MINOR BASEBALL, AND PARKS DEPARTMENTS. PLEASE CONTACT AND CONFIRM YOUR PLAYING DAY AND TIME FOR 2018. SEND THIS CONFIRMATION TO DAN TAYLOR (LMBA SCHEDULER) BY JANUARY 31ST.
(3) NEW TEAMS NEED TO SEND ALONG TEAM NAMES AND RETURNING TEAMS CHANGING NAMES NEED TO SEND THIS INFORMATION TO MATT WINOGRAD (LMBA WEBMASTER) SO THAT 2018 DIVISIONS CAN BE CONFIRMED - THIS MUST BE DONE BEFORE SCHEDULING AND REGISTRATION FUNCTIONS CAN BE ENABLED. (firstname.lastname@example.org). TEAMS SETTING UP WEBSITES MAY ALSO CONTACT MATT SO YOUR SITE CAN BE LINKED TO THE LMBA SITE.
(4) IF YOU ARE GETTING NEW PLAYER INQUIRIES BUT CANNOT USE, PLEASE REFER THEM TO DIVISIONAL COORDINATORS - SOME TEAMS ARE LOOKING FOR PLAYERS.
(5) LEAGUE FEES FOR 2018 ARE $2400 (INCLUDES $200 PERFORMANCE BOND). FULL/PARTIAL LEAGUE FEES MAY BE PAID AT FEBRUARY 25 MEETING OR CONTACT LMBA TREASURER TIM EVERSON - email@example.com FOR PERFORMANCE BOND BALANCES AND "e" TRANSFER PROCEDURES.
(6) MEETING TOPICS - 2018 SCHEDULE, SOCIETY ACT CHANGES, PMBL/LMBA INTERLOCK GAMES, BASEBALL BC SENIOR AA EVENT AND MEMBER/EXECUTIVE CONCERNS - WILL BE A VERY BUSY MEETING.
HOPE EVERYONE HAS HAD A GOOD OFF-SEASON AND LOOK FORWARD TO WORKING WITH EVERYONE IN 2018.
AAARRRGGGHHH!!! PIRATES FOUR-PEAT AS 45+ DIVISION CHAMPS
The LMBA's final 2017 game took place on Saturday, September 23 at Robert Burnaby Park and for the fourth straight year the Delta Stars and the Vancouver Pirates met in the Ray Edger 45+ Division final. Unlike the previous three final games which were closely contested games, the 2017 final resulted in a high scoring affair featuring some inconsistent play on the part of both squads. The Pirates jumped out to a quick 5 - 0 lead in the first inning but the Stars managed to claw their way back taking a brief 9 - 8 lead after six innings. Both teams were making plenty of contact at the plate but some inconsistent defence resulted in lots of base runners. Pirates second pitcher Rick Morrow put in four strong final innings as the Pirates defence settled down while the their bats continued with the hit parade piling up 20 hits resulting in a final 17 - 9 Pirate win. Pirates hit leaders Pierre Moore (2 triples) and Aart Van Gorkum (triple) were aided by additional contributions from the entire Pirates line up.
A total of 30 players took part in the final game as both teams gave everyone lots of playing time. Congratulations to both teams for outstanding 2017 seasons and to the Pirates for becoming the first ever LMBA team to win four consecutive playoff finals.
PIRATES TAKE DOWN BLUE JAYS IN 18+ FINAL
THE NEWTON PIRATES USED THEIR TEAM DEPTH TO TAKE DOWN A GAME VANCOUVER BLUE JAYS SQUAD BY AN 8 TO 3 SCORE IN THE LMBA'S 18+ CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL AT ROBERT BURNABY PARK. BOTH TEAMS CAME TO PLAY ON AN OVERCAST DAY AND THE GAME MOVED QUICKLY THROUGH THE FIRST FIVE INNINGS THANKS TO THE STRONG PITCHING FROM BOTH STARTERS - PIRATES MIKE ELLIS AND BLUE JAYS PETER GUSTAVSON.
THE PIRATES ADDED TO THEIR SLIM 4 - 3 LEAD AFTER FIVE INNINGS WITH THREE RUNS IN THE SIXTH AND ONE IN THE SEVENTH TO WIDEN THEIR MARGIN AND CLOSER NICK ALEXIOU CAME IN WITH THREE SHUT DOWN INNINGS. THE PIRATES PITCHING AND STEADY DEFENSE CONTRIBUTED TO THEIR FOUR STRAIGHT PLAYOFF WINS GIVING THEM THEIR FIRST LMBA CHAMPIONSHIP. CONGRATULATIONS TO A VERY DETERMINED BLUE JAYS TEAM FOR PLAYING HARD RIGHT UP TO THEIR LAST OUT.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE BURNABY BLUE JAYS, 2017 LMBA 30+ CHAMPIONS
BURNABY BLUE JAYS WIN SECOND STRAIGHT LMBA 30+ CROWN
STRONG ALL ROUND TEAM PERFORMANCE IN DECISIVE WIN
SEPTEMBER 10, 2017 - ROBERT BURNABY
The first of the LMBA's 3 championship games was the 30+ final between the Burnaby Blue Jays and the Richmond Rainiers, both of whom had come off close semi final victories before Labour Day. On this day, everything was working for the Blue Jays against a game Rainiers crew.
Eleven different Blue Jays pounded out 19 hits to provide the offence in their 11 - 2 win over the Richmond squad. Adam Ladouceur led the way with three hits, 4 runs scored, and 2 runs batted in to go along with his usual stellar defensive play at shortstop. Reid Wildeman (solo home run), Steve Tosh, and Tim Wilkins also added 2 rbi's each. The Jays' heavy hits were sprinkled with a lot of smaller hits that somehow found a place to land.
The Jays pitching trio of Jeff Weisgerber, Jordy Cunningham, and Jeff Ammer limited the Rainiers to five hits and a minimum of base runners.
An outstanding feature of the game was that 31 players played in the contest - a testament to the LMBA philosophy that everyone plays. The win gave the Blue Jays their fourth overall 30+ championship pennant, a total topped only by the Richmond Legends/Rainiers with seven championships and the Howe Sound Hounds with 8 final victories.
Congratulations to the Burnaby Blue Jays on an outstanding 2017 season.