Eagan High School Varsity Field
Maintenance and Clean Up Responsibilities
Rake around 1st Base: Level area around runner’s lead off position. Push ag-lime from behind runner into low spot and level off so no water can collect. Level ag-lime to grass edge so balls won’t hit the “lip” and take a bad hop. Rake foot divots and level ag-lime from 1st base down line to outfield grass. Do Not Rake loose ag-lime onto grass.
Rake around 2nd Base: Level sliding area coming into base by pushing ag-lime from outside of base into low area so water will not collect. Do the same for the shortstop side of base. Level ag-lime at edge of grass even with grass edge to avoid bad hop on “lip” on second base and shortstop side. Do not rake loose ag-lime onto grass.
Rake around 3rd Base: Level sliding area into base by working ag-lime from outfield side of base into low area. Level along grass area in fielders position in same manner using loose ag-lime from deeper into fielders position. Level turn area around base and near grass edge to avoid ag-lime being built up. Level ag-lime to infield side grass edge. Rake in foot divots in base line down to home plate. Do not rake loose ag-lime into grass.
Rake Home Plate Area: Level batters boxes and tamp down ag-lime. Do same for catchers and umpires box. Rake in runners divots along first base line to first base. See that appropriate water is used when needed at home plate. Do not rake loose ag-lime onto grass. Check with coach to see if tarp is needed. Get help to tarp. When in doubt—tarp.
Broom Ag-lime: Broom ag-lime off of grass on dug-out side from behind home plate grass down 1st base line all the way to outfield grass. Level ag-lime to grass edge. Sweep or rake ag-lime area in front of 1st base dug-out.
Broom Ag-lime: Broom ag-lime off of grass on dug out side from behind home plate grass down 3rd base line all the way to outfield grass. Level ag-lime to grass edge. Sweep or rake ag-lime area in front of 3rd base dug-out.
Broom Ag-lime: Broom ag-lime off of grass around infield side of diamond from home to 1st to 2nd. Level ag-lime to grass edge.
Broom Ag-lime: Broom ag-lime off of grass around infield side of diamond from home to 3rd to 2nd. Level ag-lime to grass edge.
Broom Ag-lime: Broom ag-lime around off of grass around outfield edge of infield from foul line to foul line.
Prepare mound: Pack clay around rubber and stride area. Spray lightly with water. Check with coach to see if tarp is needed. Get help to tarp. When in doubt—tarp.
Put away all pitching and batting screens: Store them neatly and smartly. Let a coach know if anything needs repair.
Portable Batting Cage: Cage needs to be put down the left field line, out side of the fence. Do not pull cage in fair territory. Rake any ruts on the warning track.
Bullpens: Both home and visitor side. Mounds need to be raked. Tamp down area in front of rubber and landing area. Rake home plate areas. Pull tarp over mounds.
Pick up litter: From left field corner to right field corner around backstop. Inside and outside of fence. Keep an eye out for baseballs and retrieve any you see. Help with bullpen mounds.
Rake and shovel batting cages: Level out low spots, fill in divots. Pick up litter in cage area and bleacher area. Help with tarps.
Bring out hose when needed: Stay out of the way of dragging operation. Water 3rd and 1st base grass and be prepared for wetting of mound and home plate areas. Wash out dugouts when needed. Neatly coil hose when finished. Help with tarps or where needed.
Clean 1st base dugout: Sweep, shovel, and pick up litter. Close covers. Notify coach of any equipment left in dug out. Help with tarps or where needed.
Clean 3rd base dugout: Sweep, shovel, and pick up any litter. Close covers. Notify coach of any equipment left in dug out. Clean and organize storage area at the end of the dugout. Help with tarps or where needed.
Additional Game Day Clean Up
Coil up extension cords.
Take down and fold flag.
Put P.A. system and scoreboard control off the ground in the storage shed.
PLAYERS AND COACHES
Please follow these field use guidelines.
To minimize wear in the high traffic dugout area please follow these baseball standards:
- Warm up in the outfield. Please don’t stand on the foul lines when playing catch.
- Ground ball practice is to be taken only during pre-game infield or beyond 1st or 3rd base.
- When warming up to hit, players are to use the on deck spot, or at least be on the ag-lime surface. Not on the grass.
- Pepper is only allowed beyond 1st or 3rd base.
- Pitchers - use the Bull Pen to warm up.
· Hitting any type of ball into the chain link fence is not permitted. Portable cage or screen hitting is also not permitted inside of the fenced field area. Set up outside the fence.
· Ag-lime is never, under any circumstance, to be kicked, swept, raked or shoveled onto grass. It creates lips for bad bounces and causes permanent damage everywhere it occurs.
· Players – please do not create ruts or divots by digging holes in the grass with your cleats.
· Coaches – please use good judgment with your decision for field usage when it is too wet to practice or play. If we want to play on a good surface we need to respect it.
· Please pick up all your trash before you leave.
This is your home. Before you leave this field you are expected to complete the following tasks.
- Rake, smooth and pack the mound and the home plate area. Make certain there are no holes or low spots before covering them with the tarps.
- Rake and smooth 1st and 3rd base areas. Fill in low spots around bases by pushing in ag-lime from outfield sides at both base positions. Keep ag-lime off of the grass. Level and pack so a puddle doesn’t form if it rains.
- Push ag-lime into low spots around 2nd base from the outfield side of the base. Level and pack so a puddle doesn’t form if it rains.
- Rake, level and smooth base paths. Be certain to keep ag-lime off of the grass.
- Broom grass edges on the inside and outside of 1st and 3rd base paths and all around on the inside of the infield grass edges so that ag-lime is brushed back off of the grass. Particularly at the 1st and 3rd corners. This will help to minimize lips being formed.
- Rake and level both on deck areas and walk ways to home plate. Keep ag-lime off of the grass.
- Rake, level and pack Bull Pen mounds and home plates. Pull tarps over mounds.
- Sweep out both dugouts.
- Put all equipment away, pull bases and place in storage area, insert base plugs. Lock door and all gates.
- Please help keep storage area in dugout as organized as possible. We all have to use it, and the field is scheduled for use virtually everyday.
EAGAN BASEBALL THANKS YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND COOPERATION